Let’s reflect on the year, all the 2018 Highlights and Hustle!
Wow, what a year of Adventure 2018 was! I hope that everyone had a year full of creativity, adventure, fun, success and learning! The biggest part of my year was obviously the eight month travel trip I took across the globe, visiting 17 countries, 50 cities and cruising on over 24 flights.
The experience of such as trip really was a once-in-a-lifetime gig. I’m not saying I won’t travel again or go solo again for extended periods, but the likelihood of taking an eight month trip again is pretty slim.
Did I achieve what I set out to achieve on the trip? Yes and No.
I had some pretty ambitious goals as always and sometimes those don’t fit into the reality of the situation when I get there, or the situation changes and so do the goals. I overcame a lot of personal challenges, did things that most people say they would love to do but never do and I was able to relax and have fun in moment. I met amazing people doing amazing things that inspired me and I saw some of the most beautiful places in the world that were ticked off my bucket list (however, that list has now just grown even bigger!).
I didn’t “produce” as much creative work as I had hoped during the trip, but I know that the inspiration collected on my trip will last a life time. I did come up with a little moto during the trip that goes something like this; “Observe now and action later”. This saying reminded me to stay in the present moment, to absorb the sights and sounds, to look at things carefully, to store them away in my inspiration box and not to worry too much if I didn’t produce a painting illustrating the scene first thing tomorrow.
The trip is one I will never forget, never regret and will never be fulled exhausted of it’s inspiration.
So for 2019? This year will be all about the creativity, planning and experimenting!
- Planning my wedding, which will include many DIY and styling projects.
- Adding more videos to my Youtube channel related to travel, craft, journaling and design.
- Blogging should become more consistent with added content helpful for design, travel and combining them both.
- Starting and researching for my new side hustle!
So below is my wrap up of Dear Diary Design’s 2018 Hustle & Highlights….
The 2018 Hustle
PLANNED, SAVED & ACCOMPLISHED TRAVELING FOR 225 DAYS STRAIGHT
TRAVELED TRULY SOLO FOR THE FIRST TIME
EXPLORED 17 COUNTRIES, INCLUDING 7 NEW COUNTRIES
OVERCAME MY FEAR OF FLYING, HAVING BEEN ON 24 FLIGHTS THIS YEAR
TRAVELED ON 10 OVERLAND TRAINS & OVER 70 OVERLAND BUSES
COMPLETED 6 JOURNALS FROM COVER TO COVER
READ 5 COMPLETE BOOKS (A little on the low side but still an accomplishment for me!)
MADE IT THROUGH ANOTHER STINT OF LONG DISTANCE WITH MY PARTNER
The 2018 Highlights
TICKED OFF AT LEAST 15 BUCKET LIST TRAVEL ITEMS
- WANDERED THE PLITVICE LAKES NATIONAL PARK, CROATIA
- FLEW OVER THE GRAND CANYON, USA
- HIKED IN YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, USA
- LIVED LIKE A LOCAL IN NEW YORK FOR A MONTH, USA
- VISITED THE NATIONAL STATIONERY SHOW IN NEW YORK, USA
- SWAN IN THE WARM WATERS OF THE BLUE LAGOON, ICELAND
- DROVE THROUGH THE CANADIAN ROCKIES, CANADA
- ADMIRED THE NEUSCHWANSTEIN CASTLE, GERMANY
- TWIRLED THROUGH THE PATTERN AND COLOUR OF THE MEDINA, MOROCCO
- SLEPT UNDER THE STARS IN THE SAHARA DESERT, MOROCCO
- EXPERIENCED THE EUROPEAN CHRISTMAS MARKETS
- SPOTTED THE SWIRLING NORTHERN LIGHTS, ICELAND
- SWAM IN THE WATERS OFF THE ALMALFI COAST, ITALY
- HIKED THE CLIFF PATH ALONG CINQUE TERRE, ITALY
- WENT SNORKELING THE GREAT BARRIER REEF, AUSTRALIA
…. AND COUNTLESS MORE!
So now that 2018 highlights and hustle are documented here as my reminder, Let’s get stuck into 2019 and into a year of Creativity!
WATCH ‘LOOKING BACK ON MY TRIP AROUND THE WORLD’ VIDEO BELOW…
This was a raw reflection video, one that I found hard to share, but the overwhelming emotions of finishing a big world trip, are not talked about or shown enough! So I hope you find it in some way inspiring or helpful…
May your everyday this year be filled with Creativity + Adventure….